Richard J. Hafets
Principal BaltimoreCONTACT US
Richard J. Hafets is a Principal in Hafets & Associates, LLC, with offices in Columbia, Maryland, and Park City, Utah
He practices in all areas of labor and employment law, including union avoidance, traditional labor management relations, employment litigation, EEO and affirmative action, and general counseling and advice on all HR issues.
Mr. Hafets has served as primary labor counsel to a number of Fortune 500 companies, as well as civic and charitable organizations, and brings more than 40 years of experience over a distinguished legal career.
Mr. Hafets opened Hafets & Associates, LLC so that he could continue to service his many loyal clients with greater freedom and flexibility than allowed in a large law firm setting. He has developed a national network of attorneys of the highest caliber to assist his clients across the country as matters arise.
Prior to establishing Hafets & Associates, Mr. Hafets was the founding and managing partner of Jackson Lewis, PA's Baltimore, Maryland office. Before working for Jackson Lewis, Mr. Hafets headed the Labor and Employment practice group in the Baltimore office for a leading global general practice law firm, DLA Piper. Earlier on, he worked with the National Labor Relations Board.
- Advice and counseling on all HR issues and problems
- Disability, Leave, and Health Management
- Labor and Preventive Practices, including union avoidance and collective bargaining
- American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 1976 magna cum laude
- American University, B.S., 1973 summa cum laude
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1977
- DC - D.D.C., 1997
- Maryland, all courts -- 1976
- McGraw v. Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO), et al., Civil Action No. DKC 20-0265 (D. Md. Dec. 18, 2020) (Dismissal of Title VII, NLRA, FLSA, FMLA, Retaliation and other claims).
- Construction Workers' Trust Fund, et al. v. Spiniello Companies, 208 LRRM 3304 (D. Md. Jan. 20, 2017) (summary judgment granted in suit by multiple union benefit funds seeking unpaid employer contributions under ERISA and other statutes).
- Bobby Adams v. McCormick & Company, Inc., Civil Action No. GLR-15- 1603 (D. Md. Feb. 16, 2017) (summary judgment granted in race discrimination case and setting a standard for use of evidence of comparators to prove discrimination).
- DaSilva v. Education Affiliates, Inc., No. CCB-15-541, 2015 U.S. Dist. Lexis 173542 (D. Md. Dec. 31, 2015) (dismissal by summary judgment in FMLA retaliation case).
- Mccann v. New World Pasta Co., 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis 44838 ( E.D. Mo. March 30, 2012) (granting summary judgment in race, age, gender, disability and retaliation case).
- Wyatt v. Maryland Institute College of Art, 2012 U.S. Dist. Lexis 30465 (D. Md. March 7, 2012) (granting summary judgment in ADA case).
- Lapchak v. MICA, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City, Case No. 24-C-10-003549 (March 3, 2011) (granting summary judgment in ADA case).
- Talib v. McCormick & Company, Circuit Court of Maryland for Baltimore City, Case No. 24-C-09-005559 (May 21, 2010) (granting summary judgment in wrongful discharge case; affirmed on appeal; certiorari denied).
- Garrison v. McCormick & Company, 2010 U.S. Dist. Lexis 64920 (D. Md. June 30, 2010) (summary judgment granted in ADA case; appeal dismissed).
- O'Shea v. Teamsters local 639 and UPS, 210 Fed. Appx. 317 (4th Cir. 2006 ) (aff'g summary judgment in Section 301 suit).
- Olarinde v. Holy Cross Hospital, 57 Fed. Appx. 595 (4th Cir. 2003) (affg summary judgment in race discrimination case).
- Hamilton v. Village of Cross Keys, Inc., 36 Fed. Appx. 515 (4th Cir. 2002 ) (aff'g summary judgment in sex discrimination/wrongful discharge case).
- Davis v. Exxon Co., 2000 U.S. App. Lexis 371 ( 4th Cir. 2000) (aff'g summary judgment in wrongful discharge/breach of contract case).
- Guo v. Ryland Group, Inc., 1997 U.S. App. Lexis 22721 (4th Cir. 1997) (aff'g summary judgment in race/national origin case ).
- Jones v. American Red Cross, 1997 U.S. App. Lexis 16273 (4th Cir. 1997) (aff'g summary judgment in race case).
- Banks v. McCormick & Co., 1991 U.S. App. Lexis 11002 (4th Cir. 1991) (aff'g summary judgment in race case).
- Sharma v. Lockheed Engineering & Management Services Co., 862 F.2d 314 (4th Cir. 1988) (aff'g summary judgment in race/national origin case).
- Anderson v. Dunbar Armored, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. Lexis 73041 (N.D. Ga. 2009) (granting summary judgment in race/sex case).
- New World Pasta Co. v. Teamsters local 688, 2007 U.S. Dist. Lexis 80314 (E.D. Mo. 2007) (vacating arbitration award).
SELECTED PUBLISHED CASES
Honors and Recognitions
- Baltimore Sun, "Baltimore's Best Lawyers"
- Employment and Labor law in Maryland, Client Choice Award ( chosen by corporate counsel) (2014 and 2015)
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who Legal: USA – Management Labor & Employment, Maryland
- Tier One ranked by Chambers – Over Ten Years
- Best Lawyers in America – Over 15 years
- AV Rated Martindale Hubbel – Over 40 years
- Super Lawyers – Over 15 years
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland
- "Is Your Current E-Mail Policy a Ticking Time Bomb Under the NLRA?," HR Advisor (Thomson/West Publishing) (May/June 2005)
- "An Alternative to Alternative Dispute Resolution," Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 3 (Winter 2003)
- The Developing Labor Law, and How Arbitration Works Cumulative Supplements (BNA) [Chapter Editor]